These terms and conditions layout the framework for the proofreading, proof-editing and formatting work that I do to give you an understanding of the process. If you request a quote, then a copy of these terms and conditions will be sent to you and will need to be agreed before any work commences. If you have any questions, please get in touch by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- These terms and conditions apply to any work done for the Client (You) by Barko’s Editorial (BE).
- The Client is under no obligation to offer BE work, and BE is under no obligation to accept an offer of work.
- Rachel Barkataki, owner of Barko’s Editorial, can confirm that she is self-employed and responsible for all National Insurance and tax contributions, and will not claim any benefits granted to the Client’s employees.
- BE is not VAT registered.
- These terms and conditions are to be agreed in writing (including email) prior to any work starting.
- The work will be carried out by BE, and not subcontracted to other parties.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised and at such time and place as determined by BE, using BE’s own equipment.
- All project specific terms will be agreed in writing (including email) before work starts. These include:
- The medium – Word document, PDF or paper.
- How the work will be annotated – Tracked Changes, BSI symbols, etc.
- The fee for the project and the payment schedule.
- The date the Client will send the project to BE.
- The deadline which the work will be returned by.
- Any extra expenses that the Client will bear.
- If on receipt of the project (or at an early stage) it becomes apparent that there is significantly more work required than anticipated, BE may renegotiate the fee and/or deadline, or decline to carry out the work. This is also the case if the work does not reach BE by the specified deadline and therefore delays the start date.
Quotes and Fees
- A quotation will be sent to the Client following receipt of a completed ‘Request a Quote’ form. Further correspondence will be sent via the provided email address from the form to open the discussion for the specific terms for the project.
- Once the quote has been accepted, it is non-negotiable unless the client extends the word count or request other services. In this case a new quote will be sent to the Client.
- A non-refundable fee is required to secure the booking. This fee is £100 for projects costing more than £100, or the full fee for projects costing less than £100.
- The booking fee is due within 3 days of the quote being accepted. If the booking fee is not paid in this time, the project is deemed cancelled and the booking is no longer held.
- The client will pay BE a fee per 1,000 words OR per hour OR a flat fee for the project, as agreed in the quote.
- Unless otherwise agreed, BE will invoice the Client immediately after returning the project and payment is due within 14 days. The booking fee will be deducted from the final invoice for projects over £100.
- Any additional work required after the project has been returned will be seen as a new project and will be quoted for separately.
- Both the Client and BE have the right to terminate the contract for services at any time if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- Both the Client and BE are free to cancel a contract for any reason providing written notice to the other party. Written acknowledgement of receipt of this cancellation is required from BE for this to be valid for the Client.
- Both the Client and BE should contact the other party if any extraordinary circumstances (crisis or bereavement, for example) prevent or delay the project starting. In either case, a fair resolution will be worked out for both parties.
- Cancellation prior to the project starting will incur the following fees:
- Less than one month’s notice – BE reserves the right to invoice for 100% of the agreed fees.
- More than one month’s notice – the booking fee will not be refunded but no other charges will apply.
Copyright and Confidentiality
- After payment of final invoice, any amendments made to the work become the copyright of the Client.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential at all times and not made known to anyone other than the Client and it’s contractors without prior written permission.
- BE will not upload the content to third parties unless instructed to do so by the Client in writing. BE does, however, use Dropbox as cloud storage and delivery method.
- The Client and BE may keep on record such information (for example, contact details) as is necessary. Either may view the other’s records to ensure that they are relevant, correct and up to date.
- BE may use the Client’s name in promotional materials, but will obtain written permission beforehand.
Quality and Liability
- BE aims to provide an accurate, thorough and reliable service. Although BE aims to provide the best service possible, it cannot guarantee 100% accuracy (simply because of human error and subjectivity) and occasionally may not correct errors.
- The work is owned be the Client. As such, the Client agrees to hold BE harmless from any claims, liabilities and expenses arising out of any potential or actual copyright or trademark misappropriation or infringement claimed against them.
- BE cannot be held responsible for direct, indirect, special or consequential losses or costs incurred by any errors remaining in your work, be they factual or grammatical. The final responsibility for errors remains with you.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both the Client and BE agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.
- The exclusive venue for any arbitration or court proceeding based on or arising out of this Agreement shall be Worcester, England.